University of Kansas Postdoctoral Association
Welcome to the University of Kansas Postdoctoral Association. Our goals are to:
- Improve postdoctoral training on the KU campuses by developing a variety of professional development activities.
- Promote a community of postdocs on campus that will lead to fruitful interdisciplinary collaborations and help raise the national profile of the KU research community.
- Ensure that opportunities at KU are open to all postdocs regardless of demographics.
Travel awards for 2014!
The KU Postdoctoral Association (KUPA) offers travel awards to reimburse postdocs for up to $500 for the cost of attending scientific meetings. Travel may be for any time in the calendar year following announcement of the award winners. This years deadline has already passed, but we plan on offering awards again in early 2015
We normally run events at 12-1 pm on the last Friday of each month, but this sometimes changes so pay attention to your e-mail or check this page nearer the time. We try to supply free food for all our events, so to make sure we get our numbers right you need to tell us you are coming along by e-mailing us.
In past we've had speakers from the KU careers service, advice on grant-writing from academics and KU support services, as well as local companies to talk about opportunities in the area. We are always open to suggestions for new events, so if you have any good ideas please e-mail us.
The KUPostdocs calendar is public, so you can easily add it to your personal Google Calendar to save you from checking back here.
The abstracts for the talks and posters from the 2013 KU Postdoctoral Research Day & STEM Graduate & PhD Career Fair are still available here.
The handout from our recent Undergraduate Research Mentoring Series: Getting Started is available here, and if you found the event useful, you can join the Center for Undergraduate Research mailing list here.
Our previous event, "Successful Academic Job Searches: Part I - Advice from the Search Committee" was recorded for the benefit of those who could not attend. To watch it, e-mail Geoffrey Akien with your KU e-mail address so that you can be registered to watch it. Unfortunately we cannot make this available to those without a valid KU e-mail address.
We are interested in putting on the events that you want to see, so we've created a survey for you to be able to quickly give us your feedback. Any and all feedback is welcome!
Who are we?
The Executive Board is made up of:
- President: Fernando Estrada (LinkedIn)
- Vice-President: Rebecca Marquez (LinkedIn)
- Treasurer and webmaster: Geoffrey R. Akien (LinkedIn)
- Secretary: Michael L. Barta (LinkedIn)
- Communications officer: Nashwa El-Gendy (LinkedIn)
- Faculty Advisor: Emily Scott, Emily Scott, Associate Professor in the Department of Medicinal Chemistry (group page).